Request it, and we’ll hold it for you to pick up
If you search the library catalog, and what you want isn’t available right now, you can request it. We’ll let you know when the item is ready to pick up.
At our library, look for it in our Holds Pickup Room (see above). At our Douglass Branch, ask at the desk. You can also choose The Urbana Free Library as your pickup location. Note: When you pick up an item, you must check it out using the same library card that was used to place the request.
To request something:
- Find it in the catalog and click on the “Request It” button, or
- Call us at 217/403–2070 during library hours (for children’s books, call 217/403–2030).
Most items can be requested — even brand new materials that haven’t arrived at the library yet. Only rental items and reference materials can’t be requested.
If we don’t own what you want
- Request a purchase. We’d be glad to consider buying newer items. Use our purchase request form, or call 217/403–2070.
- If you need an older item, you can request it from other libraries across the country using Worldcat. Look for the "Search Other Catalogs" link in our catalog, and choose Worldcat.
To cancel a request
No longer need an item you requested? Cancel your request; it’s a nice courtesy for others who may be waiting. Note: Cancelled requests cannot be “undone.” If you change your mind, you’ll need to place a new request.
To change where you pick up your item
You can either:
- Call us at 217/403–2000 and ask us to change your pickup location. This will let you keep your place in the hold queue.
- Cancel the request in your account information, then place it again, choosing the different location for pickup.
Don’t Let Requests Arrive While You’re Gone: Suspend Them
Don’t want requested items to arrive while you’re on vacation? “Suspend” your requests to a later date. This also helps if you’ve requested several items, but don’t want them to arrive all at once.
- Log in to your library account and click Requests.
- Check the box beside each item to suspend. Click the Suspend/Reactivate Selected button, at the bottom of the page. Enter a new activation date; you’ll automatically be put back on the waiting list on that date. Click Submit.
- If you prefer, you can suspend all requests at once. Without selecting any items, click the Suspend/Reactivate All button, enter a new activation date, and click Submit.
Contact us at 217/403–2000 or email@example.com.