Business License

Description: The City of Champaign website has many sources of information for new business owners.

Taken from their site:
QUESTION: How do you start a new business? Whom do you contact?


  • You are required to register your business with the Champaign County Clerk's Office
    at 1776 E. Washington Street, Urbana, 217/384–3720.
  • You will need to contact the Illinois Department of Revenue at 1–800-732–8866 for tax information.
  • Contact the City of Champaign, 102 N. Neil Street, Champaign, 217/403–8800, for zoning approval. If you plan to put up a sign to advertise your business you will need to contact the Planning Department as well.
  • You will need to contact the Champaign Fire Department Building Safety Division, 307 S. Randolph Street, Champaign, 217/403–6100, for a building inspection if applicable.
  • If you plan to install, or there is an existing alarm system in your location, please contact, 102 N. Neil St., Champaign, 217/403–8940 for an application for registration. There is a one-time registration fee of $10, unless you move or change alarm companies. If the facility or premise is not registered and receives a false alarm, a $50 registration fee and a $75 fee for each false alarm occurrence is required.
  • If your business includes the preparation and/or sale of food, please contact the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, 710 N. Neil Street, Champaign, 217/352–7961.
  • The City of Champaign requires licenses for certain types of businesses (see Licenses). Please contact or 217/403–8940 for additional information.
  • If alcohol is to be served or sold, please contact the Mayor’s Office at 217/403–8720 for liquor license information.
  • You may contact the Economic Partnership for information on starting up, 1817 S. Neil Street, Suite 201, 217/351–4133 or fax at 217/351–0906.
  • For incorporation procedures for non-profit organizations, contact Secretary of State, Department of Business Services Corporation Division, 217/782–9522. Forms, fees, and booklet manual are available at
  • The Small Business Development Center can provide information on small business loans and financing. They are located at 1817 S. Neil Street, Suite 201, 217/359–1791.

Source: City of Champaign Answerbook
Date Last Revisited: 4/29/2010

Tags: License