Planning a Business
Find out how to start a business in C-U.
- Business Plans Handbook , Gale Virtual Reference Center. For access: Type in all 14 digits of your Champaign library card number. (No card? Use this at the library.)
Best local links
- Champaign County Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Development Centers in Illinois
- SCORE provides local business counseling
Best Web links
- State of Illinois Business Portal – information you need to run a business in Illinois
- Illinois Entrepreneurship Network
- U.S. Small Business Administration
Resources at the library
Browse the shelves at these Dewey (shelf) numbers
346s – private law
658s – general management
Books to use only at the library
- Illinois Business Review (Reference/R/330.973/Ill) provides a summary of business activity and conditions currently effecting Illinois.
- Illinois Manufacturers Directory (Reference/R/670/Ill) provides profiles of 21,951 companies based in Illinois.
- Illinois Services Directory (Reference/R/670/Ill) provides profiles of most non-manufacturing companies based in Illinois.
- Tax Guide for Small Business (Reference/R/336.24/Uni) is an IRS resource that provides in-depth instructions and advice for filing small business taxes.
Magazines & periodicals
- Business Week provides the latest technology, management and financial trends, which can help determine the particulars of a new business.
- Entrepreneur is designed for those planning to start a new business and small business owners and provices the latest marketing, management, technology trends and strategies.
Fast facts from our info pros
Find sources of information on how to start a nonprofit organization that can receive donations and not pay income taxes.
Thinking of starting a business? Learn the process, legal and regulatory requirements for starting a business in your state. Also get tips on where you can get help as you jump start your small business.
Some possible sources of assistance for small business owners/entrepreneurs include: SCORE, United States Office of Small Business Development Centers, and the Champaign County Economic Development Corporation.
Find out appropriate agencies to contact and steps to take when opening a new business in Urbana.
Free workshops @ the library
Learn from business experts at free workshops at the library. Many of them focus on starting a new business.
Need friendly advice?
The Champaign County Chamber of Commerce provides support for local business. Experienced business professionals offer free counseling through SCORE, the Service Corps of Retired Executives. The Small Business Development Center is part of U. of I. Extension.