Meeting Room Policy & Requests
Use our online system to request a meeting room. Our staff will contact you to finalize your reservation. Please note:
- Groups may have up to 3 reservations booked at a time.
- Choose the “Week” or “Month” view to get an overview of when a room is available. Then use the “Day” view to select the desired time.
- Use “Search” to check availability in more than one room at once.
Meeting Room Policy
The Champaign Public Library welcomes use of its meeting rooms by persons or organizations for informational, educational, cultural, and recreational meetings.
Beginning October 1
Beginning October 1, all groups will be required to pay a modest fee for use of the meeting rooms. This will help the library recover the cost of maintaining the rooms, equipment, and furnishings. Fees are listed below.
In addition, groups will be allowed to book rooms up to six months in advance and can have up to six reservations at one time. Finally, groups will be allowed to collect fees from attendees to recover the cost of the room rental, speaker fees, course credits, or refreshments, as long as entry is not denied to someone for failure to pay. We want to ensure that all meetings held at the library are open to the public.
The meeting rooms available for use by the public at the Main Library, 200 W. Green Street, Champaign, IL include:
- Robeson Pavilion Room A & B, 1st floor, capacity 140, fee for profit and non-resident groups $50/hour
- Robeson Pavilion Room A, 1st floor, capacity 75, fee for profit and non-resident groups $25/hour
- Robeson Pavilion Room B, 1st floor, capacity 75, fee for profit and non-resident groups $25/hour
- Robeson Pavilion Room C, 1st floor, capacity 50, fee for profit and non-resident groups $25/hour
- Library Friends Conference Room, 2nd floor, capacity 22, fee for profit and non-resident groups $10/hour
- Foundation Conference Room, 2nd floor, capacity 20, fee for profit and non-resident groups $10/hour
Douglass Branch Library
The meeting rooms available for use by the public at the Douglass Branch Library, 504 East Grove Street, Champaign, IL include:
- Meeting Room A & B, capacity 80, fee for profit and non-resident groups $25/hour
Meeting Room Use Policies
The meeting rooms of the Champaign Public Library are available free to all non-profit groups and for a fee to profit and non-resident groups.
- Meetings must be free and open to the public.
- No admission fee or donation may be required or solicited from those attending meetings in the library. Retail sales are not allowed, except by permission of the Library Director.
- Use of the library’s meeting rooms does not constitute endorsement of viewpoints expressed by participants.
- Meeting rooms are not available for private parties such as birthday parties, showers, or family reunions.
- Library programs receive priority in the scheduling of the meeting rooms.
- The library reserves the right to change, cancel, or revoke reservations for meeting rooms. If changes or cancellations are necessary, the library will provide the affected group as much notice as possible.
- Meetings or gatherings of any kind that would interfere (such as number of people greater than room size limits, activity or noise levels that disturb other users) with the operation of the library or the safety of its users are prohibited. The use of hazardous materials in classes or demonstrations and lighted candles for ceremonies is not allowed.
- Meetings of individuals under the age of 18 years must have an adult sponsor present.
- Children under eight years of age must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver at all times in all parts of the library building.
- Smoking is not permitted in the library. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on library property.
- Groups may not receive mail at the library’s address, or publish the library’s phone number as a contact for the organization or the meeting. Library staff is unable to deliver messages to meeting participants, except in cases of emergency.
Fees for Meeting Rooms Use
- Champaign not-for-profit groups may use the meeting rooms at no charge. Donations are welcome.
- For-profit groups or groups from outside the City of Champaign will be charged fees according to the chart above. Fees, including setup fees, are payable at the time a reservation is made and are refundable if canceled at least one week before the scheduled event.
- All groups will be charged $25 for kitchen use at the Main Library or Douglass Branch.
Hours of Operation
- The meeting rooms are available for use during library hours. No member of the organization may enter the library before it officially opens, and all participants must leave by the time the library closes. Groups needing setup time for their meeting should allow for it in their reservations.
- The Meeting Room at the Douglass Branch Library may be available during hours the library is closed. Contact the Champaign Park District to make arrangements for meetings during those hours.
Reservations and Cancellations
- Reservations for all meeting rooms may be made online at www.champaign.org.
- In person at the Main Library building‘s Administrative Office no earlier than three months in advance or later than 48 hours prior to event. Hours of the Administrative Office are 9–5, Monday-Friday.
- Reservations for the rooms at the Douglass Branch Library can be made in person at the Douglass Branch front desk no earlier than three months in advance or later than 48 hours prior to event.
- Only three meeting reservations per group will be held in our booking schedules at any one time.
- One individual must be designated as a contact person. That person is responsible for scheduling and supervising the activities of the group. A Champaign Public Library library card, driver’s license, or other valid identification is required to reserve a room.
- As a courtesy the library requests that groups go online at www.champaign.org or call the Main Library at 217/403–2000 or Douglass Branch at 217/403–2091 to notify of any cancellation no less than 24 hours in advance, or at least one week in advance for refund of registration fees.
Room Condition and Setup
- The normal seating arrangements for each library meeting room is described online at www.champaign.org or when in person arrangements are available.
- Library maintenance staff can provide alternate room and seating arrangements, for a $25.00 setup fee, payable at the time of reservation.
- Excessive cleanup by library staff following the meeting will incur a charge, to be determined on a case-by-case basis. Rooms should be left in the same condition and arrangement as they were found.
- Attaching/taping anything (including signs) to walls, doors or ceilings is not allowed.
- Groups are responsible for the cost of repairing damages to equipment, furniture, or the building caused by those attending the meeting.
- Equipment available for use in the library meeting rooms is listed on the reservation form. Requests for use of the equipment must be made when reserving the room.
Refreshments, Kitchenette Use, Ordering from Latte Da! Cafe
- Refreshments may be served in the meeting rooms of the Robeson Pavilion at the Main Library and in the Meeting Rooms A and B at the Douglass Branch. Food is not allowed in the Friends of the Library Conference Room and the Foundation Conference Room at the Main Library.
- The Latte Da! Cafe at the Main Library is available for those wanting to order coffee, soft drinks, fruit juices, water, pastries and/or box lunches for a meeting at the Main Library. Call Latte Da! to place an order at least eight hours in advance. See the current menu and pricing at www.champaign.org.
- A kitchenette is available for the Main Library’s Robeson Pavilion rooms and Douglass Branch meeting room, suitable for serving light refreshments and cleanup. No food may be prepared on library premises. Use of electric cooking or warming appliances such as crock pots, woks, trays or coffee makers is prohibited. Chafing dishes with open flames are also not allowed.
- Groups serving refreshments must provide all equipment, utensils, and serving items.
Reviewed and approved by the Board of Trustees on October 20, 2011
Call Library Administration at 217/403-2050, weekdays 9 am to 5 pm.