Stacking Up Against Other Libraries
While the most important way to gauge our success is how satisfied our community is with our services, it’s also instructive to see how we compare to other public libraries. By a variety of measures, we’re among the busiest and best public libraries in America. In fiscal year 2008–09:
- We checked out 33 items per capita. That’s more than three times the average of 10.6 for public libraries serving a similar population.
- Visits per capita was 10.9, compared to the national average of 6.1.
- We earned a 3-star rating from Library Journal magazine. Only the top 4 percent of public libraries nationwide received star ratings.
- We had the top score among Illinois libraries in our population category in the Hennen American Public Library Ratings.
- We were named to the Peoria-based Alliance Library System’s Watch List of “libraries we admire and/or wish we were.”